Sorta.  I really respect Bero as a developer, but I do not agree with him on
this particular issue.

KDE is under the GPL.  Under GPL license anybody has the right to take it,
make any change they want, as long as they release the source code.  If KDE
didn't want Red Hat make the default theme something else and "destroy the
KDE feel", then they shouldn't publish it as Open Source Software.  Also
some KDE developers are well known for saying "If you want it, code it
yourself." in response to people asking for certain features.  Red Hat
doesn't have the right to code it themselves?

If you really don't like the new Red Hat "Bluecurve" look, then just install
a different theme.  You didn't lose anything.  You could also choose to use
Mandrake.

There were concerns about Red Hat forcing these modifications into KDE to
make it more unified with the "Bluecurve" look, without putting enough
effort to avoid introducing new bugs.  I don't know if this is a valid
argument because KDE3 has always been quite a bit unstable.  The latest KDE3
in RH 8.0 seems to be better than KDE3 in Red Hat 7.3 (which was absolutely
terrible, KDE3 wasn't ready for production use back then).

There's also people in the Gnome camp all upset about the RH 8.0 default
Gnome theme.  Their arguments are equally invalid in my opinion.

Ultimately I think Red Hat did a good thing in beginning to unify the KDE
and GNOME desktops in this release.  Nobody else was spearheading this
effort.  Linux needs more unified standards if it will ever become accepted
by mainstream business and consumers.

There is still a considerable amount of work needed to Gnome and KDE to
further unify things.  They still use separate folders for their "Desktop".
They still use different sound daemons (esd and artsd) which cause problems
for applications written for the other.  Themes will eventually be unified,
meaning you can install one theme and it will work in both KDE and Gnome.