I really don't know what the heck is going on, but this is what happened.

When the installation of the nVidia driver totally screwed up my machine, it simply booted to runlevel 3.

So I logged in, cd'd to /etc/X11, used vi to edit the XF~-4 file by commenting out the "glx" line. This allowed me to reboot back to KDE. But I was stucked with a generic integrated GeForce2 DDR, and was unable to change the video setting.

So I decided to give it a last shot before re-install. I uncommented the "glx" line, went to Mandrake control center, changed to video driver to GeForce4. While I was expecting everying to screw up again, the test screen suddenly came up. After I clicked on "OK", the nVidia screen showed up, and everything seems to be working.

BTW, Eric, how do you fix the sound driver?