Michael Ableyev wrote:
The command would be: `ifconfig eth0:1` and then the regular ifconfig options. You have to make sure though that kernel has ip_alias enabled. most major distributions have it by default.

I know I say it all the time, but interface aliasing is OBSOLETE (i.e. don't use it! It does horrible things to your routing tables and iptables filters!). However if you do want to use it, interface aliasing is always enabled on 2.4 kernels.

The "new way" (which is much more friendly if you're doing any sort of advanced routing, firewalling, or traffic control) is to use iproute2:

ip addr add address/bitmask dev ethX

I think ifconfig can also do it (ifconfig eth0 add ...) but you should probably have iproute2 anyway if you're doing any major networking. The ifconfig support for this may also be IPv6 only.

--MonMotha