sometimes I like using the line numbering feature in vi, but hate the way
it's implemented in vim. Do you know if the minimal package you speak of
implements line numbering in the standard vi way?

Well, I've really only used vim, but I just tried vi on a SunOS box (uhunix2)
and line numbering seems to behave the same way.  You are referring to
:set number
yes?
Vim does have a vi-compatibility mode that is on by default unless you have
a ~/.vimrc file.  you can force it on by

:set cp

But since I don't recognize any difference in behavior I can't tell you if
that makes a difference or not.

I guess the best way to find out if /bin/vi does what you want or not is to
just try it.

--Ray