I don't know about putting it in a non-first partition but I've seen two
different ways to do it.  The first is to make an image of the linux
bootsector and put it in the windows root drive and point to it with
boot.ini... It takes some work and I've only got it to work using FAT32.
The second way I learned by accident... GRUB works fine as the bootloader,
which is much easier so I suppose putting it on another partition wouldn't
be a problem.