>Why would you want to start [sshd] as nobody? You are supposed to
>start sshd as root. The application itself handles dropping
>privileges and chrooting.

If only! sshd ends up running as root, both if I start it manually or if I
reboot/restart the service.

And as I say, many (all?) of my other daemons run as root also, isn't this
considered a security problem? Could I have messed up my passwd file or
something? What would make my init process run everything as root? What log
file should I be peeping at to find "hey, I tried to lower my privileges, but I
failed."

Diffused Dave