On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 10:45, Benjamin Kinsey wrote:

> This is where I want your help.  I need honest feedback, both
> positive and negative, from HOSEF members about the challenges
> of Linux within the scope of education.  For example, besides
> Office and Web surfing, what will students actually be doing
> at the Linux cluster?  What educational software is available
> for Linux?

There is a great deal of educational software available, either free or
commercial.  Much of the free native Linux educational software is
already included in K12LTSP (and soon Fedora Linux).  Also much existing
Windows educational software can run on Linux after some tweaks.

There are a great number of Linux for education sites.  I can't list
them all in a single e-mail.  Please search Google.

> Particularly, how can Linux be useful for math and
> science education (the focus of the HNLC grant)?

Several ways, mainly dealing with technology:
* Tons of Free Programming tools and IDE's that would normally cost
thousands of dollars.  Students could learn it at school, and take it
home and install it on any number of computers completely legally.
* http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/press/2003/press_rhacademy/
Programs like Red Hat academy for High Schools, equivalent to Cisco or
Oracle or Microsoft Academy
* Networking and Security - Linux and Open Source Software are very well
suited for learning about networking, network servers and security
compared to any proprietary product out there.  Furthermore students can
use this software at home to study it or actually use it in practice,
completely free and legally.  The same cannot be said for Cisco
products, for example.

There are also a few math programs like Mathematica, science and
engineering programs available, but I haven't looked too deeply into
these yet since I don't use them personally.

Eric Hattemer would know more about the math/science/tech desktop
applications available on Linux.

> Is there any
> hope of turning an "average" Mac or PC person into a Linux
> system administrator?

The learning curve is harder, so we attack this problem in three ways.
1) Training training training
2) Write better tools, package software to make it easier to install and
maintain.  This has a lot to do with my Fedora Linux project.
http://www.fedora.us
3) HOSEF members will do initial configuration and help with long term
maintenance.  Once Open Source systems are setup properly and documented
for reproducibility, they tend not to break if a minimal amount of
maintenance is done on a regular basis.  #2 tools and software will help
this long term maintenance, while #1 training will help by training
users to know these easier every day tasks.

Warren Togami
[EMAIL PROTECTED]