First off, I would be concerned about the filing of a criminal complaint. Considering that possibility you may want to send your former employers a very terse letter saying that you own the property in question. Avoid the desire to elaborate about any of the details. I suspect, armed with this letter, the police would likely dismiss this as a civil dispute and not criminal.

As for any civil liability, as the previous responders have suggested, I would be careful of assuming the self-perceived reasonableness of the circumstances frees you from liability. You might contact the company and see if you can work out some sort of compromise. However, I would suggest proceeding only if you are at least somewhat confident of success because you don't want to help them make a case against you. Also, be practical; unless this is some whiz bang piece of equipment it probably won't be worthwhile for your former employer to pursue you civilly, unless they want their data, which can be quite valuable (think of some of the creative ways companies inflated hacking damage). I would suggest providing them a copy of their data and agreeing to destroy any that has been retained by you if for no other reason than it is the right thing to do.

Disclaimer: This should not be considered legal advice. If you want that, you have to find an attorney licensed in HI to give it to you.

Patrick