On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 20:24, John Johnson wrote:
> Hmm...I just got the email from Red Hat today stating that my free
> distribution will reach its end-of-life in the next quarter. Not being
> aware of the current RH prices, I went over to the site to look at how
> much a low-end subscription would run. It seems starting prices are
> $349. Since I am running a couple personal and a couple charity sites, I
> can't afford to shell out that kind of cash every year. So I guess it's
> time to go distribution shopping again. Any suggestions? I have heard a
> lot of people mention Debian. The only other distribution I ever used
> was Slackware back in the early to mid 90s. Thanks for any input you can
> give.

If you liked the feel of RedHat, Mandrake or Suse are reasonable
alternatives.  I would personally advise that you consider Debian.  The
stable branch is something you can count on for the charity sites'
servers.  Come by one of our workshops if we can help you to install
it.  Also, have you considered one of the *bsd's?

--scott

http://www.hosef.org