On Jan 31, 2006, at 10:26 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Matt Darnell wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/31/google_goes_desktop_linux/
Everything Google has touched, turned to gold, except the video....that
sucks

Actually, my experience with Google video has been with links submitted via Digg, and it wasn't too bad. That was all free stuff, of course.

Personally, I have trouble imagining that Google would want to get into the Desktop OS business. Ubuntu isn't bad, but the only way anyone will profit is if they sell computers in volume with Linux pre-installed.

Try telling that to RedHat, or any of the other linux distro vendors.

As the article states, one possibility is a version of Ubuntu tweaked for internal use. That would make more sense.

But they wouldn't go to all the trouble of re-skinning then.