Jim Thompson wrote:
Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:

Today's (03/20/06) Wall Street Journal has an article about
"preemptive financing" (i.e., investors will shower you with cash
before you have a presentable corporative structure or even a workable
product).  The average valuation that venture capital groups are
willing to give to a pre-startup has jumped from $10M two years ago to
over $15M. Sorry, I don't have a link. Wayne

This made /. more than 8 hours ago:

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB114282030825002662-WsKRxguaW3lK1G_Le2jFAW9dCn8_20070319.html?mod=blogs

H'come you always beat me, Jim?

This week's BusinessWeek also has a cover story about measuring the "fast-ness" of today's companies. Implicit in its message is the critical importance to adopt open-sourced software. IOW, if you have to wait for Microsoft to build development tools for you, you might just as well plan to close your shop.

BTW, I was reading SUN's announcement on Java Web Services Developer Pack 2.0 (Java WSDP), which includes SUN's recently updated NetBeans 5.0. Things (re web services) are really getting exciting. Anyone cares to comment? (I am mainly interested in incorporating NetBeans into OOo.) Wayne