Nakashima wrote:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/05/16/78380_HNibmodf2_1.html

Since the DOE relies heavily on Lotus Notes, this might be a very good thing.
--Peter

OpenOffice.org/StarOffice is indeed much more powerful than most of us on the islands are aware of. For example, this is the only GUI-based office suite that I am aware that you can load into two different locales (languages), side-by-side, during the same session (& on the same screen). See the attached screenshot:

http://wpuniverse.com/vb/attachment.php?s=ff1da038aedaa496c838dbcf71bb69b1&postid=141448 <http://wpuniverse.com/vb/attachment.php?s=ff1da038aedaa496c838dbcf71bb69b1&postid=141448>

http://wpuniverse.com/vb/showthread.php?s=ff1da038aedaa496c838dbcf71bb69b1&postid=141806#post141806 <http://wpuniverse.com/vb/showthread.php?s=ff1da038aedaa496c838dbcf71bb69b1&postid=141806#post141806>

which shows an English version of OOo along side a “simplified Chinese” version. (There was a third, German version of OpenOffice.org running in the background but was not captured by the screenshot.) If we are to be prepared to take advantage of our geographic proximity to the CJK market along with our unique cultural mix, OpenOffice.org presents an interesting opportunity (b/f its secrets are broadly known).

A while ago I mentioned here that, as far as desktop Linux goes, StarBasic should be the most important language to learn/teach. This comment was, as expected, immediately shot down as an idiotspeak. By StarBasic, I actually meant OpenOffice.org API, in that StarBasic is the easiest way to access OOo APIs. OOo APIs are arranged into various UNOs (uniform network objects). In addition to StarBasic, other UNO bridges have been developed which allow OOo interfaces to be written in C++, java, python, and javascript. StarBasic does not substantively extend the functionality of OOo. To do that, a developer must go into C++ and java. Of courst, OOo is written in C++, thus making it a must-have language skill if you need to go into the OOo code itself. OOo also has a built-in BeanShell if you need to write a quick and dirty non-fully typed java class.

I have gotten into a few heated discussions with my colleagues in the legal community with regard to OOo vis-a-vis other wordprocessors (mainly Word and WordPerfect). I think the main problem is that most people simply download OOo and expect to be able to instantly apply the skills that they have accumulated in other wordprocessor(s). It may (actually "will") take some tweakings here and there, but at least as far as creating legal documents is concerned, I have not found anything that OOo can’t do.

Most people are not aware that you can compose and send emails directly from OOo (thus taking advantage of those built-in tools as well as your own customized dictionairy. OOo (Writer) is also an excellent tool to creat forms that serve as a front-end to databases.

For those of us who oftentimes have to send out an original document to various people and incorporate their changes to that document, OOo (Write) does a beautiful job without exposing your system to the risks of letting in a Trojan horse (as does Microsoft Word). The steps are briefly discussed in:

http://productivityapps.itbusinessnet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=42970

This is not the same version feature as in MS Word, but I think it does a better job. Wayne