On Jun 6, 2006, at 3:07 PM, Maddog wrote:

I'm not talking about putting a Linksys et. al, AP in you hotel hallway, I am talking about a commercial Wi-Fi deployment. You are not going to deploy that crappy equipment in Waikiki and expect not to be over run by the guys already there using much more powerful equipment.

I have equipment deployed in Waikiki. Really. (I'm not the provider, but we did sell the gear.)

C'mon Jim. We are going to be on opposite sides of this discussion forever so let's just agree to disagree. As long as you have hardheaded, old boys running the hotels there is no way you are going to have free wireless in Waikiki. I have been here for 15 years and nothing has changed that would make hotel execs see the light. If something is sold on your wireless AP they want a cut. As recently as last week Friday that was the case.

And it will change. I've been doing hotel WiFi in various guises since 1998. Wayport had over 1,000 hotels when I left. It will change in Hawaii slower than elsewhere because there is no business requirement driving the hotels here. Hawaii is a resort destination. People come here to play. That said, even Disney's hotels are going free wireless.

If you don't believe me talk to Gordon Bruce. He'll tell you of the countless headaches and bickering he has endured from all the players about how they are going to get their cut of the rev-share pie. It is just not realistic to think it will ever happen here.

Since anyone can put up the next AP, there is no business model possible in outdoor WiFi.

I am right in the middle of it. Bandwidth charges and Wi-Fi. I know all about it.

MD

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "LUAU" <luau@lists.hosef.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 2:47 PM
Subject: Re: [LUAU] Ubuntu... Legalities

I'm sorry, but a single AP in your coffee shop/mcdonalds/lunch counter/.... will cost you less than $100.

Hotels (on the mainland) have figured out that people will preferentially stay where there first was WiFi and now folks will stay where its free. This is especially true in the "3 star" level places. (Nobody expects water to be free in the Four Seasons.)

Jim