On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 10:46:50AM -1000, Al Plant wrote:
> Aloha,
>
> I want to add a dhcp NetGear WPN824v3 wireless leg for 2 laptops (1 MS7
> and 1 Ubuntu Linux) on my existing static IP lan  of 10 desktops and
> servers (all FreeBSD).
> I run fixed IP on both segments now using 192.168.1.x addresses but
> would like to have dhcp segment on the wireless side since the laptops
> have to be reconfigured every time they come back on my home/office lan.
>
> Has anyone on our list had experience with this or knows of a how-to?

  One easy way to do it is install a DHCP daemon (e.g. isc-dhcpd) on
one of the FreeBSD servers, or on whatever you're using for a firewall,
configure the DHCP server to use a specific subrange of addresses for
its clients (and/or configure static address assignments into the DHCP
server bound to the MACs for your statically assigned machines), and
configure the NetGear in bridging mode.  I've done basically that for
years.

  One caveat since you mention Ubuntu: Since I upgraded my Ubuntu Dell
laptop from 8.4 LTS to 10.10 last month, it's entirely lost wireless
access.  No idea as yet whether it's its wireless DHCP client code, its
WPA supplicant, or what, but I've been disappointed with this loss of
functionality and haven't yet found time to put it back onto a wired
port and figure out what I need to do to fix it.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  clift...@iandicomputing.com / clift...@lava.net
       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/