I think this is something worth discussing in our own community before we
decide to post something.

My thought is we need a general management to resolve issues and provide
resources so the community can do their work (this is why we have this
group).

General management never sets the direction (read: vision) for the team.
Usually there's an executive level of management that is not focused on
expediting and facilitation that can work on this.

Some might call this bureaucracy, but if it includes input from the team
and community seriously (in other words, it seriously considers everything
and publishes logical public responses to all issues), then it works.

I perceive the issue to be that people are concerned that Canonical does
not perform their executive role in an open manner. Yet I've never heard
anyone really push the point that they don't want to work with the cloud,
or the phone, or Unity. There's rumbling, but where are the petitions or
protests?

If we demand change and Canonical does refuse to listen, it's time to fork
Ubuntu.

Personally, I see Canonical's moves as sensible given they are a for profit
company. I've also seen them support moves that aren't going to get them a
profit (us!).

They have relied largely on the community to create the vision for these
non-profit products, but the current vision isn't really a problem. If we
keep doing the work, that's a good thing.

The other issue may be we need different council members. There's a
solution: get your membership and exercise your voting rights.

In light of that, I'm not sure this discussion is anything more than
academic.

@wxl
Lubuntu Release Manager, Head of QA
Ubuntu PPC Point of Contact