Gustavo, thank you so much for this email. I can't agree more that
this is true. We need more resources. It's really an issue among all
flavors. In fact, I can even say it's true in the Kubuntu team (after
hanging out with a bunch of them this weekend) and they're old school
when it comes to flavors. So you're right, this is a global issue
(though Ubuntu has paid Canonical employees so it's not SO MUCH of an
issue with Ubuntu Desktop, Cloud, Touch, Server, and so on… and we
probably can't help Kylin why we're still speaking English ☺).

That being said, we could maybe start a blueprint and invite other
flavor team leads to join in. I don't know how other flavor teams
organize themselves between Team Leaders or even if they do, but I
have contacts with just about every team, so I can try to spread the
word.

I'm also on the Ubuntu News team. So if you want to lever that, we
probably can. Maybe it might be interesting to know why people don't
contribute and why the people that do contribute continue to do so.
This might be worth a survey.

I can also tell you that you're not alone in this thinking. You may
have heard me mention that I have Lubuntu QA t-shirts and that I'm
going to create a sort of contest (with the shirts as prizes) to
encourage more contribution, especially from new contributors. This
was inspired by a similar idea from the Xubuntu team.

My idea was to sort of gamify this with a bias towards new
contributors and multiple contributions. I've been trying to think of
how to do that logistically. I really want to have this done before
LXQt goes live in Lubuntu (which should ideally not be in an LTS
version, so if it's going to happen this year, 15.10).

That being said, I'd appreciate thoughts on the subject as well as
ideas on how we could apply this to the other teams and flavors.

Thanks again for doing such a darn good job!!!

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Gustavo Silva
<gustavosantaremsi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> In the past few days I have been thinking in a way to get more contributors
> to get involved with Lubuntu. In the beginning I was thinking about a
> broader approach and hence we could gather forces with the guys at Ubuntu to
> get more people involved. I think it is fair to say that we could use some
> help to all teams.
>
> I don't want to generalize and hopefully you won't get me wrong. The Wiki &
> Docs is reduced to me only, the devs have always passed difficulties the
> keep the release on time and with great quality and I'm not sure if we have
> a Communications TL, after Silverlion (Jens) had to freeze his
> contributions. If we do, then maybe we could refine the current approach in
> order to get more people involved. I have some ideas that I can discuss if
> needed.
>
> Nevertheless, I'm guessing that new users bring new blood around and that is
> something that we must appreciate. Lubuntu is an important distribution of
> Ubuntu, and I definitely don't want to see it attached to hard, individual
> work. Besides, I'm guessing that all teams would benefit in numerous
> projects if they just had an extra par of hands. Now I can speak for myself:
> I have so many ideas for our Wiki... But not enough time. I want to help,
> but I can't do it alone. I know some of you guys have been helping a lot and
> you'll always give a hand when you can, but unfortunately that is not
> enough.
>
> A social media strategy plan is an idea, but I am not sure if there is
> something you guys have previously tried. Also, I think it would be great if
> we gather forces, and not recruit solely to one team. In any case, I don't
> have access to the Facebook official page, so I am sure I wouldn't be able
> to officially announce anything.
>
> So, summarizing, I have a couple of questions to discuss with the admins:
> - Do we have a team leader for Communications?;
> - Does s/he has a marketing plan?;
> - Which teams want to collaborate and try to define a strategy to increase
> our number of contributors?;
> - Even if you don't want to gather forces, would you mind suggesting a few
> ideas to bring some people closer?
>
> Apologies for the long email. I really appreciate your time and help on
> this.
>

> --
> Best Regards / Obrigado e com os melhores cumprimentos,
> Gustavo Silva
>
> Phonebloks, Partnership Manager
> Lubuntu Wiki & Documentation, Team Leader
>
> --

@wxl | http://polka.bike
Lubuntu Release Manager, Head of QA
Ubuntu PPC Point of Contact
Ubuntu Oregon LoCo Team Leader
Ubuntu Membership Board Member
Eugene Unix & GNU/Linux User Group Co-Organizer