You can also create a credentials file in this format:

username=yourusername
password=youpass

Then use this in samba:

//server/share /media/samba cifs
credentials=/path/to/file,uid=1000,gid=100,noperm 0 0

Having a username/password setup on samba is a very good idea as it keeps
users out but also authenticates you as a user on the remote system, you can
use samba to only give access to certain resources to certain usernames thus
making it more secure.