I do understand what you mean, actually most of the gtk3 porting work
has been made. Actually only those packages doesn't build with gtk3:

gpicview libfm pcmanfm lxmusic lxpanel

everything else builds and seems to work fine. i wonder if lxappearance
could be set up in a way that "if built with gtk2, i edit gtk2 configs,
if built with gtk3 i edit gtk3 configs" that way, we don't need to make
2 versions.

Il 14/08/2011 13:52, PCMan ha scritto:
> I'm not sure what Lubuntu devs will do on this issue, but from the LXDE
> side, there is no plan for the migration at this moment. For now, migration
> to gtk3 brings much more problems and bugs with no visible benefit. XFCE
> also keeps using gtk2 in the near future.
> The Chromium browser, is going to use gtk2 for quite a long time, too. They
> needs to support some older commercial systems on which gtk3 is not
> available. For current applications used in LXDE, migration to gtk3 brings
> no benefit but the work needs to be done is very huge.
>
> The problems we will have after the migration:
> 1. PCManFM: desptop icons will be broken and this part needs some sort of
> rewrite for gtk3. In addition, some theming stuff uses gtk2 only features.
> 2. LibFM: this part still uses much GTK2 APIs. Though I already started the
> preperation for migration, this won't happen recently. As gtk3 now changed
> its user input handling and the change is not backward compatible, I'm not
> sure what bugs this will bring.
> 3. The XSettings daemon inside LXSession doesn't seem to be working for both
> gtk2 and gtk3 at the same time.
> 4. LXAppearance cannot configure gtk2/gtk3 at the same time. Technically
> it's not possible to make it work for both of them at the same time.
> 5. LXPanel is completely broken under gtk3. The work needs to fix the panel
> and port it to gtk3 is even more than developing a new panel. Hence, I plan
> to develop a new one based on gtk3 from scratch later. I will use libwnck at
> that time to avoid some low level X11 hacks. Some new widgets provided in
> gtk3 are useful for the new desktop panel. This could decrease much
> maintaince load and many unresolved bugs. I'll also do some UI redesign
> then. For now, migration to gtk3 for this one is 100% impossible and nobody
> is going to do it.
> 6. Migration of other components are possible, but since the major
> components still need more love, spending the time for migration to gtk3 for
> the least important components is pointless.
> 7. GTK+ 2 and gtk+ 3 modules are incompatible. So I'm not sure what will
> hapen to IM module (input method) after the migration. We will need two
> different IM modules. One for gtk2, and the other one is for gtk 3.
> Otherwise we cannot type non-English characters.
> 8. GTK2 and 3 programs can coexist, but this requires two librraries to be
> installed on the disk and loaded at runtime. Having a desktop environment
> composed by mixed gtk2/3 programs is a very bad idea since the resource
> usage is doubled for no additional benefit. This is not acceptable for LXDE.
> As most non-Gnome GTK+ based applications are not yet ported to gtk3, unless
> we're going to depend on gnome components, migration to gtk3 now brings
> harms only.
>
> To sum up, we're not going to do gtk3 migration in LXDE now. The reasonable
> timing for the migration is when XFCE and other non-Gnome programs,
> [...]

- --
Andrea Florio
QSI International School of Brindisi Sys Admin
CISCO CCNA Certified
openSUSE-Education Administrator
openSUSE-LXDE Administrator
openSUSE Official Member (anubisg1)