Hi,

I went through the whole thread (37 emails so far) and noticed very simple
thing that I already have noticed long time ago (I know what most of you
will say) which is: we do *NOT *have accurate database of Lubuntu Users in
general and those who are "still" using OLD machines and I mean VERY old
here.

I like such kind of discussion and I tend to agree with some opinions and
disagree with others but after all, this is very healthy activity
(discussion) but ... as always ... the real question is: isn't it pointless
to discuss such thing without REAL figures? some guys already pointed that
out, I guess.

Long story short, my simple and humble opinion is: we need a group of
people who do a survey to obtain such figures. No, I have no smart ideas of
HOWTO do that but if we could discuss about this, that would be VERY
helpful. Perhaps we are wasting our time here and there are only 2-3 users
with such old machines? for me, Lubuntu 10.04 didn't work on this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590614 while Mint LXDE 9 did.
Both may be using the same kernel but I'm not really sure why Lubuntu
didn't work. Also, perhaps they are many users that will be affected with
that drop? so we need some figures.

Just a thought I'd like to share with all, as usual :)

Thanks!

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Marvin Reimer <therealm...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi (my first post to a Lubuntu Maillinglist),
>
> I also had one minor problem with the PAE kernel.
> I'm running Lubuntu mainly in VMs (because it is faster than the heavier
> Ubuntu).
> When installing Lubuntu Precise in Virtualbox I had to turn on PAE support
> in the options (this was not a dealbreaker).
>
> But, when installing Virtualbox Guest Additions in Lubuntu Precise, the
> headers of the PAE kernel where missing so that the Guest Additions could
> not be installed.
>
> I recommend to include the PAE kernel headers in the base install so that
> some non advanced users can also install the Guest Additions easily.
>
> Marvin
>
> 2012/1/6 Steven <sten...@gmail.com>

>>> It's my

>>> the
>>> beyond),
>>> convince
>>> Watson

>>> http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting/2011/ubuntu-meeting.2011-12-12-21.01.moin.txt

>>> Steven,
>>>
>>> Running a PAE kernel and capable of running a PAE kernel are a couple
>>> of different things. I'd honestly be surpised if that CPU wasn't
>>> capable of running a PAE kernel. Are you able to run the command "grep
>>> pae /proc/cpuinfo" to see if it is capable of running a PAE kernel? If
>>> you get any output please paste it back if you're not sure what it
>>> means.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris
>>>

>> That command doesn't give any output:
>> $ grep pae /proc/cpuinfo
>> $
>>
>> It was also apparent when I ran a Lubuntu Precise daily-live CD for the
>> first time the other day and got this:
>> "This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
>> pae
>> Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU."
>>
>> -Steven

Best Regards,

*amjjawad*
Lubuntu One Stop Thread (Mega
Thread)<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755>
My Wiki Page <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad> | My
Launchpad<https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad> |
My Ubuntu Forum Profile <http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822>

*My Actions Speak Louder Than My Words ||** ** I walk by faith, not by
sight **|| Imagination is more important than Knowledge || **Keep It Simple
and Short*