I think that restrict kernel ram + swapoff do the same thing?

edit /etc/default/grub

in the line that appears:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

you can add de "mem" parameter to restrict the ram usage, for example:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash mem=256M"

Notice that de M is for Megabytes, if you no put the M the kernel will try to bot with 256 bytes of RAM lol xD!. If something is wrong you con boot in recovery mode that omits the kernel parameters.

after edit the grub file you must run

sudo update-grub

then restart.

I think that is useful if you not have a machine with low ram and you wants do the heavy test suggested by amjjawad.

regards.

Jesus Eguiluz
Ingeniero Electrónico.
Investigación y Desarrollo