On multiple installations, I have encountered the problem on 512 Meg RAM machines where it crashes at a certain point during the slide-show. In each case, using the package manager to remove the ubiquity slide show has allowed the graphical installation to go beyond that point, and succeed.
-- Sincerely, Aere

I must second or third Ubiquity crashing. With successive installations of Lubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 on dozens of different machines, I've run across this a few times. It's not by any means the norm, but it has happened to me. I would try upping the real RAM if I had enough of the same kind to spare. If that didn't work, I would usually try removing the hard drive, installing Lubuntu on that same drive by attaching it to a different machine and put that hard drive back in the first machine to see if Lubuntu would run decently. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't.

I never removed Ubiquity (though the post I quote above has me thinking about it for next time this happens) and never heard of zRAM until the last week or two on this list. That Edubuntu uses it has me intrigued. And if zRAM will work to allow the Ubiquity slideshow to remain in the installer and not crash on *some* older hardware - and if will do no harm to a faster/better machine with more physical RAM; I'm all for giving it a look to include by default.

Eric Bradshaw
--
Thank You,
God Bless,