It was an absolute no-go
I am not sure what happened, but it seemed to me that there was a major conflict between the lightdm I had and the lxqt lightdm. I could not get past plymouth at all. Actually the screen stayed black until I dropped over to my tty. when I went back to my X the plymouth screen showed up and hung around changing the dots unending. I tried a few things like editing the lightdm conf files (all of the ones I knew of), but that didn't seem to change much. This was on 13.10 so it may work better in 14.04, but I will wait a little while before trying that again.
Good news is 14.04 runs great.  So far it is rock solid.
I am having one issue... no shutdown button...  not sure why.
So, I am thinking it would be great to make a desktop file for the
lxsession-logout
and have something like
OnlyShowIn=Lubuntu
So it could be added back in easily for people that accidentally configure their panel too much and delete something, and then can't find the shutdown applet. It would be better if it was an applet to add to the panel, but I suppose with efforts toward LXQt the desktop file would be sufficient for 14.04 users.

--
Regards