One way to learn is if you are on a support like IRC or even just looking
at people trying to get help on mailing lists you can then read the manual
if you don't understand what they are talking about.

I wonder even if you start them using one small bit of free and open source
software that is cross platform there could be the benefit of you can
switch to something else if the next version of windows isn't good or has
massive problems which gives the company more options.