That is extremely bizarre.... Did you use the same disk image that was
successful before?
I know you said the md5sum checked out... but it is odd that you should
get something so different.

You can check to see if wpa-supplicant is installed (I am pretty sure
that is the name).
I am kinda out of ideas right now... I have been crunching my brain
about the sound issue for PPC and finally figured out what to do :)

--
Regards