On 08/17/2014 07:25 AM, Vesa Paatero wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the CD (supposedly CD...) image for Lubuntu 14.04.1,
> 64-bit, but it turned out that the file is too big for a standard
> 700MB CD. This is the file I got:
>
> Name: lubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso
> Size: 740294656 bytes
> MD5 checksum: 4a6555869fbbe11fa6a17f83be046455
>
> I wonder what the root cause of this problem is... Are there different
> standards in CD sizes or did someone just forget to check the image
> fits on a CD?
>
> And by the way, it seems that the MD5 checksums for 14.04.1 images
> have not been put on the web pages (yet).
>
> Thanks in advance for taking care of these issues.

Hi Vesa!

md5sum at this link:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/14.04.1/release/MD5SUMS
You md5 does indeed match the posted one!

If you have a flash disk, and your computer is already running Lubuntu,
you can boot from the flash disk in GRUB.
You can boot from the ISO itself
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/ISOBoot
or you can boot from a startup disk directly.

Here is a quick example.
Enter the grub command line by pressing 'c'
you need to find the flash disk from Grub
type in:
set root=(
push TAB to see a list of the available options

you will end up using something like:

    set root=(msdos1,1)

next load the kernel with the boot options

    linux /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper noprompt noeject quiet slpash

this takes a little time, so be patient.  Now you need to load the
initial ram disk.

    initrd /casper/initrd.lz

this one can take a lot more time than loading the kernel, so be patient
once that has loaded type in:

    boot

There you have it!  Boot from USB on a computer that wont do it! I have
done this many times, as I have had the same issue.   :)

--
Regards