The upgrade received today on Lubuntu 14.10 has fully resolved this problem.
Nvida-304.123 works OK now.
My thanks to the dev team.

Henk

Henk Terhell schreef op 1-9-2014 om 00:26:
After purging driver NVIDIA-304 I got my desktop back with the default nouveau driver. However opening Firefox rapidly caused a screen freeze. The older NVIDIA-173 did the same after installing and rebooting. I therefore switched back to NVIDIA-304.123 from the list and again no GUI... So now I know (a) the absence of GUI was caused by the driver and (b) none of the recommended video drivers for Lubuntu 14.10 beta can be used on this Geforce 6100 card. For Lubuntu 14.04 (and 14.10 alpha) the recommended NVIDIA-304.117 does not cause any problems.

Henk