On 11/15/2014 11:53 AM, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
Hi,

I'm refurbishing an old Dell Dimension 2400. Whilst it has other, non-lubuntu, issues, I can confirm that the GUI is fine. Details:-

Dell Dimension 2400
768MiB RAM
Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz
hostname banks
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL, kernel module i915

BW,

Ian

-- Free Software page - http://contactmorpeth.wikispaces.com/SoftwareToolkit

All:

I posted this information for bug #1385920, but it may be useful for this e-mail list to see it.

The problem with the Dell DX-1100 machine is a different problem from this one.

Some release later than release 12.04, the Intel graphics on this machine performed poorly (jagged graphics gradients, a.k.a. tearing), and even the Java Web-Start (IcedTea) logo window failed to work on 13.10 & 14.04.

Because of this, I took steps to use a different graphics card (a NVIDIA geForce 6200), in place of the Intel graphics that appeared to have been abandoned by Linux. Where the Dell DX-1100 machine has no AGP port, I used a PCI version of the NVIDIA card. To make it work, I had to set the BIOS to do "AUTO" graphics card selection, rather than using the on-board (Intel) graphics.

That worked, and I have been using it for some time. However, that particular machine I have been using for my 12.04 LTS system testing, so I stopped testing newer systems on it.

In collecting more information regarding this problem, I discovered that the Lubuntu 14.04 live CD system would not boot on this machine, which was a big surprise, since I thought this was only a problem with 14.10.

In experimenting with this machine, using different system levels, I discovered that if I used the Intel graphics card (setting the BIOS to use the 'onboard' graphics), the 14.10 live USB systems would not only boot, but that the problems with the Intel graphics have been corrected. I tried this with both Lubuntu 14.10 and ubuntuMATE 14.10, both of which worked with no problems (as long as I didn't try to use the NVIDIA PCI graphics card).

That was indeed a very pleasant surprise, for which I would like to thank the developers profusely! The Intel graphics _has not_ been abandoned, but is now supported, and has been fixed! So I can take out the NVIDIA card, and everything will now be fine (well, I had a bit of a struggle getting my Windows partition to go back to using the Intel graphics, but I succeeded).

I do still have the problem of the Lubuntu 14.10 live system not booting on my Compac Deskpro 933 megahertz machine, which only has its very old Intel graphics).

The problem I posted for the Dell DX-1100, is actually a problem where if you boot the Live-DVD 14.10 system (both Lubuntu and ubuntuMATE), using a PCI (not AGP) NVIDIA card, with the BIOS graphics selection set to 'AUTO', it apparently goes ahead and uses the onboard (Intel) graphics card (which has no monitor connected to it), and ignores the NVIDIA PCI graphics card (which the monitor is connected-to).

It would be nice if this would work (since the NVIDIA has better resolution), but I can work-around the problem by just using the Intel graphics card.

--
Sincerely,
Aere