I was looking at this further, and found out that /usr/share/applications/defaults.list was officially deprecated in 4/14. See, for instance, https://mail.gnome.org/archives/distributor-list/2015-January/msg00000.html and also the current spec at http://standards.freedesktop.org/mime-apps-spec/mime-apps-spec-latest.html which instead specifies the use of a mimeapps.list at one location or another.

Lubuntu 14.04 seems to implement some sort of mixture of the deprecated and current spec. I have not been able to pin it down with precision.

The LibreOffice installation wrote a full complement of mime type associations to /usr/share/applications/defaults.list. But PCmanFM does not look at that -- it opens an ODT file with AbiWord. I have yet to figure out what it looks at by default. Anyone know?

If I R-click on a file: Open With and check the box to make the current app the default for opening the file, then PCmanFM writes to ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list with the minimal entries required to set the desired mime type association. And then for the current user, ODT files open with LibreOffice.

Oddly enough, though PCmanFM writes to a mimeapps.list (named per the new spec), ~/.local/share/applications is not one of the lookup locations in the new spec.

I copied ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list to /etc/xdg/lubuntu/, which is a lookup location in the new spec. Then I created a new user and found that my global mimeapps.list was ineffective.