I had a usb drive that went bad so when I tried to do a cp command it just hung doing nothing. I killed the command with ctrl -c but it was still listed when I did ps -aux. I tried to kill the process but it was stat D and I could not kill it. I tried doing a forced umount of the usb drive. The process was still there. Did a shutdown but it would not finish shutting down and I had to turn off the power. Then this week I tried to copy a file that was too large for the usb drive this time using pcmanfm instead of the command line. Although it told you out of space and had a stop button it did not stop the process and again had to do a hard reboot to clean up the filesystem. Is there a better way to clean up a write process that has gone bad
              Linda