Aere, Nio, et al:

In the interest of science and curiosity I downloaded the ubuntu mini iso,
changed name to .dmg burned it to CD on my 450Mhz Powermac, and ran the
install in the iBook . . . ~3 hours to complete . . . and, since I haven't
had a GNOME DE in quite awhile I went for that . . . .  It's a bit "obtuse"
using the debian installer, it seemed to go OK . . . but, only boot params
that were "accepted" was "install video=ofonly" . . . would not accept the
"video=ofonly radeon.agpmode=-1" params that were needed for the previously
installed Lu 14 & U-MATE systems . . . .

So I ran the install, seemed to declare it "successful" . . .  it got only
to the splash "Ubuntu Gnome" on the first boot, no mouse cursor . . . shut
it down and rebooted . . . "found display" there was some errors of course
about the "broadcom" . . . .then a black screen . . . no mouse.

Rebooted back into OSX.  Further investigation might happen later today,
possible qa tracker report sometime much later . . . .  Was trying for the
GNOME F Feet screensaver via actual GNOME DE . . . .  I'll see what I can
think of to fix it . . . looks like LXDE will be coming to the rescue on
the next Nuke n pave . . . . : - )