Hello Fritz,
As first, you need to understood how boot on PowerPC architecture work, and also what is bad on
same label "/" for different disks if mount is defined by label (not by UUID nor device
file). And, also how to make propper "NewWorld bootblock" partition with correct FS,
attributes and content. This partition is not like /boot, this is just bootloader stage used as
jump from open firmware wuth defined booting path.

I had tested Lubuntu 14.04 installer for PowerPC on iBook G4 and it was working
fine. Also, I had tested Ubuntu 12.04 installer for PowerPC on the same
machine, and it was working fine. And finally, I had successfully tested
ancient PowerPC Ubuntu on my Mac Mini lot of years ago when Ubuntu ShipIt was
alive.

If your try to boot from cdrom was without success, please review what error it
was and additionally check your keyboard. If you are using external keyboard,
then you wull need to be sure to have that keyboard initialized before chime
will play and you need to have it plugged into correct USB port. If keyboard
will not be able to send keypress to open firmware, then defined boot sequence
will be activated. In your case, that boot will fail as you dont have correctly
created that bootblock after redesign of disk layout.

OFI and yaboot have recovery mode. When I had reinstalled my Mac Mini, I had
used it. After HW crash (HDD was dead after allmost 10 years uptime, and cd was
also not able to read lot of media), I had decided to use installation using
manual debootstrap on different computer with installing base with
lubuntu-desktop, kernel package and yaboot package. I had simply booted into
open firmware, and activated boot of yaboot to start linux kernel with correct
root partition. Once system had booted, I had done yaboot manual
reconfiguration and hook of boot path for yaboot into OFI by ybin command.

PS: I cannot understood which error of installer did you had mean. Hooking of
boot path into OFI to call yaboot and later also linux kernel is not part of
manual partitioning. This is part of yaboot post installation step
(configuration).

Also, I cannot inderstood what did you mean by pressing "L" during boot. This key used for booting Linux is part of
yaboot, not open firmware. And yaboot is what you had successfully removed from boot sequence. Yaboot have also option to boot
from "C"drom, optionally boot from "N"etwork and boot back to "O"pen firmware, but my suggestion to
press "c" was before chime will play. This will say dirrectly to OFI to activate direct boot from CDROM without yaboot.