Hi,
I fully agree with Phill! I personally like to use zsync, as it does the checksum match automatically for you. Verify the ISO is correctly downloaded, and then once you have verified it...

You will need to set the root partition to your specific device
grub supports TAB completion, so use it:
set root=*<TAB>**<TAB>*
You will see a list of items
pick the device that looks correct
something like hd0,msdos1
i.e.
set root=(hd0,1)

linux *<TAB><TAB>
*(I'm using Xenial.. so your kernel will be much different)
you will need to add the root device to this line as well
hd0,1 will be /dev/sda1
hd1,1 will be /dev/sdb1
and so on

i.e. linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-16-generic root=/dev/sda1

next you need the initial ram disk file
initrd *<TAB><TAB>*
i.e.  initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-16-generic

and for anyone curious about vmlinuz,
vm means virtual memory, and linu = linux the 'z' stands for the compression (not sure if which one is used).
in a nutshell your process should look something like

set root=(hd0,1)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-16-generic root=/dev/sda1
initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-16-generic
boot