Hi,
Your garbage did NOT get sent

As for lxpanel cpu applet I found this, it is a fork with more features, and YES it IS hard coded in:
https://github.com/danamlund/cpu-monitor-extension-lxpanel-plugin/blob/master/cpuda.c#L379
It *might* be different in the regular version.... but you could download this repo, follow the instructions and (of course) change lxtask to whatever

(My favorite lightweight one is htop)
x-terminal-emulator -e 'htop'

voila... simple hack.
It would be nice to read it from a config file, or have a nice way to change it! I think PCMan (and friends) would bring your code upstream if it was nice!