Hey Jack,
if you are booting to a black screen then it is your graphics card (most likely). This is a problem that will require you to research some things but should likely be able to overcome. That said, it might be better to wait for a while before trying this distro... Often in the weeks before the Alpha is released there are some rather grievous issues on certain hardware (especially those requiring external graphics modules)