On 06/04/2016 11:35 PM, Jerry wrote:
Israel wrote:
On 06/04/2016 05:34 PM, J. Van Brimmer wrote:
Honestly I use brasero personally.
So, now to the real question you asked :D
Is the ISO you are using complete?  (Did you run md5sum on it)
Have you tried other programs (Brasero, K3B any command line tools?)

Yes, the md5sum was checked and good.

That is good :D
On Lubuntu, no I didn't try Brasero or and other burning method. I did open Synaptic and selected Brasero for installation, but when I saw all of the deps that it required I thought I would mention the problem to this list to see if there was a known fix for Xfburn, instead of installing Brasero.

There very well may be, but like you I ran into issues using it many years ago, and have since used the tool that I know works

And finally, can you open xfburn from a terminal and report the errors it spits out in the terminal, those are generally very useful for finding issues.

When I open xfburn from a terminal all I get is a pop up window saying "No burners are currently available" and this in the terminal: "** Message: Using UDEV".

This is a clue here.
You may indeed need to make some sort of UDEV rule, and also check your users permissions to use the device, OR possibly xfburn needs to be able to use devices and is not part of the correct group.

You might try contacting the xfburn people (XFCE people) directly for insight here
http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/xfburn

I have not had any issues with either of the external DVD/RW dirves I have used over the years, but again I do not use xfburn, because I had troubles with it 5 years ago, and have not had problems with brasero.

My external drive works fine on other distributions on this same netbook, albeit with Brasero.

That was my similar experience

So try another program first to see if it is simply xfburn that is the issue

I guess I'll just install Brasero.
Contact XFCE devs, they might know what is wrong

Also, making a USB drive to boot is extremely easy with certain programs (such as mkusb) and will work on many computers :)

Thanks, I'll try out mkusb.

Here are instructions on installing mkusb
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb

--
Regards