On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wikl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> synclient touchpadoff=1  ## turns off the touchpad
> synclient touchpadoff=0  ## turns on the touchpad
>
> You can make aliases for these commands or bind them to some hotkey
> combination.

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that command.

That seems easier than grepping xinput for the ID. But, I want one key
binding to toggle the touchpad on/off. So, I have a script which not only
finds the device-ID, but also the current state (which I save as an
environment variable).

If I used synclient it would be simpler because I wouldn't have to find the
device-ID (like I do with xinput). But, I'd still need a script to toggle
the value.

I still think this would be useful as a keyboard shortcut. It was really
frustrating to me when I switched to Lubuntu over a year ago (from Win 8.1)
and struggled with the cursor jumping around while I type. I don't know if
it's just me who prefers a real mouse.

Ideally, I wish there would be a trivial application in menu->settings to
turn of off/on (so it could be easily found by a new user), and also state
in on that application's screen that the same functionality can be accessed
through a shortcut.

I know there's more ideas than people doing the work. But, I do think this
(and a keyboard-shortcut diagram of some kind) would help new users from
Windows. It's really frustrating finding these things organically.