I just came into possession via hand-me down of an older Samsung ARM
Chromebook . . . fine for what it is, but could anyone here offer on
guidance on the "cost/benefit" ratio of the crouton + DE route or the "nuke
pave" of Chrome OS and fresh install of a linux OS???

The HD must be around 10GB . . . and I eventually may do the SSD upgrade,
which might mean starting fresh . . . or possibly the SD card expansion . .
. I don't know how the system "reads" or works with the SD card variation .
. . like, in theory an entire os could be installed there and it would be a
dual-boot condition??  Using some key to select between them??

Certainly I've done plenty of fresh installs of linux; question is whether
the better path is the path of least resistance, keep the Chrome OS base,
and do the crouton/developer mode method???  I did some brief online search
and found the crouton instructions . . . but also found the "how to do it
w/o crouton" . . . .  So, any thoughts on best practice between the options
would be where the local expertise would be helpful . . . .

I'm not sure if I have a non-PPC version of Lu installed to usb drive . . .
for testing purposes, etc . . . I'll have to rifle around to see what I
have . . . .