On 11/16/2016 04:58 PM, Walter Lapchynski wrote:
> Aere: I think what Ubuntu is discussing is removing i386/x86/32-bit,
> i.e. going all amd64/x64/64-bit. And yes, it would very negatively
> impact many Lubuntu users as well as the goals of the Lubuntu project
> as a whole.
>
> Unfortunately, I was not able to make it to the session. For those of
> us in the same boat, here's some links:
>  * YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXzYG4d7poQ
>  * EtherPad: http://pad.ubuntu.com/uos-1611-architecture-discussions
>  *
> IRC: https://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2016/11/16/%23ubuntu-uos-core.html#t14:55
>
> The majority of this conversation concerned PPC. I think the long
> answer is there are some rather annoying endian bugs and a yaboot
> issue that no one currently supporting PPC (Lubuntu, Ubuntu MATE,
> Ubuntu Server) has the resources to deal with. Not to mention
> upstream. I'll let those leading the discussion (cc'd) confirm this,
> but it sounds like by when support for existing PPC releases end, it
> will be time to stop providing any sort of PPC images.
>
> As far as my perspective is concerned, I'm perfectly happy with
> dropping PPC. It makes me sad. PPC brought me to the Lubuntu
> community. However, it becomes increasingly harder to make PPC users
> happy. The successes that we have had in recent times are largely by
> accident. Neither Lubuntu nor Ubuntu MATE have the resources to
> support PPC. It does sound like Ubuntu Server will be dropping PPC. I
> think it only makes sense for us to follow suit.
>
> Apparently, there are plans in place to evaluate the health of the PPC
> port during the Z cycle and so a decision on removing PPC from the
> archives will likely come in 6 months time. Even then, it sounds like
> that's going to be a temporary delay to PPC's inevitable removal.

We can still use Debian PPC if Ubuntu drops support, and Debian
currently supports PPAs, though PPC could only use non-binary PPAs
(icons/gtk themes/scripts/python programs/etc)
Could there be a push to get some of the Lubuntu goodies upstream to
Debian?  I am thinking of things like Rafael's artwork specifically.
There are not too many Lubuntu specific programs not available in
Debian, that I am aware of.

--
Regards