I have already done something similar (but with W8) using Clonezilla.
Some laptops specially ultrabooks and low end machines have encrypted
partitions, and some of them require you to unset same "safety" features on
Windows OS or motherboard (EFI) before you can securely back it up with DD
or Clonezilla.
Removing this encryptions is essential if you want to do a dual boot, since
GRUB might not be able to boot those encrypted MS volumes.

The USB recovery stick you mentioned is useful to restore boot partitions
and do some disaster recovery. It does not backup the entirely OS. If you
follow Liam aproach you don't need it at all, since you can do the same
with the downloaded ISO.