On 05/13/2017 05:25 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sat, 13 May 2017 11:32:21 +0200, Basil Fernie wrote:
On Mon, 8 May 2017 20:54:00 -0600 Aere Greenway wrote:
But on attempting to browse the web (using Firefox) to download my
latest music software, the browser crashes!

I tried Chromium, and it also crashes.

I tried Qupzilla, and Midori, and they, too, crashed.

I remember that I had noticed browser crashes when I tested Lubuntu
16.10, as well.
Maybe an older version of Opera, somewhere between 9 and 12, before
they (temporarily) deserted Linux...
Hi,

without troubleshooting, what makes you think that the browsers are the
culprits?

Do we know how much RAM is available?

I don't think just about how much RAM is displayed by e.g.

   $ sudo hwinfo --memory

and/or

   $ free

etc., but what actually does running   Memtest 86+   for several passes
display?

Is there any output when running Firefox, Chromium, Qupzilla and Midori
from command line and/or in   ~/.xsession-errors  ?

There are tons of other possible culprits as well! E.g. is the HDD or
SSD intact?

Not the best guides, but starting points:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TroubleShootingGuide
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Troubleshooting
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxLogFiles
https://www.linux.com/learn/troubleshooting-command-line-tips-linux-beginners

Regards,
Ralf

Ralf:

Thank you for your insight.

The machine has 512 megabytes of RAM, and the only thing I was running was the Internet browser, which I was always able to do in the past.

I had assumed the system was fine, having run my other tests. In these cases (where I upgraded), I didn't need to browse the Internet to install the application.

Internet browsers do have high RAM requirements, so your idea is reasonable.

The browser I first tried was Firefox, which crashed.

The browser I got to work (the Windows version, using Wine) was also Firefox.

In earlier testing (on 16.10), I installed a version of the ZynAddSubFX synthesizer from the Debian unstable repository, which worked on all my other machines, but crashed on this particular machine. In looking at the problem report (from apport), as I recall, it was because of an illegal instruction (attempt to use a machine language instruction the hardware does not support).

So I was assuming it was the same problem with the browser.

That viewpoint is probably more likely, where in using Firefox successfully on Lubuntu 16.04 earlier, but now with the latest updates, it always crashes.

I probably should try it again, and see what the detailed crash report says. I did submit the original crash report.

--
Sincerely,
Aere