[Note: It is an older version of Vbox involved (5.0.40)
That is due to complications on Openindiana regarding installing
recent vbox versions.]

I've been trying to setup lubuntu as guest in a vbox vm on an
openindiana host (solaris x86 11 off-shoot).

I've run quite a few vms on this oi host some for a good while like
debian and ubuntu which are currently shut down but in working order.

With the lubuntu 17.10: It seems that an `aptitude full-upgrade' has
installed a new kernel... (version 4.13.0.31-generic) not sure what
all else but several pkgs.

The new initrd's were generated during the upgrade.

On a reboot called by the software updater when I ran it, the vm
completely fails.

In the last few hours, I've started from scratch 3 times, each time I
managed a running lubuntu install but after running `full-upgrade'
each of them had this same total failure.

The log referenced in the attached screenshot is 3200 lines long and I
did not recognize a single line that seemed to be useful without
intimate knowledge of the workings of vbox.

If anyone wants to see it I will post it.

Can anyone give guidance?... are others seeing problem with new kernel
(version 4.13.0.31-generic)

Backing up to the previous kernel 4.13.0.21-generic allows the login
screen to appear but once logged in it goes to a black screen with no
buttons on the bottom panel that seems to be frozen and completely
unresponsive.