Traditionally, Debian releases have been upgradeable by changing Apt's

> /etc/apt/sources.list, which specifies package repositories, and using
> apt-get
> dist-upgrade to perform the upgrade itself. Ubuntu is still a
> Debian-derived distribution, so this process would likely still work.
> Instead, however, we'll use do-release-upgrade, a tool provided by the
> Ubuntu project, which handles checking for a new release, updating
> sources.list, and a range of other tasks. This is the officially
> recommended upgrade path for server upgrades which must be performed over a
> remote connection.
>
> I'm afraid to use the do-release-upgrade command, because (1) I can't find
> documentation for it
> (The above site just tells how to do it like a monkey), and (2) It might
> try to give me 18.04, not 16.04.
>
> I'd like to try the apt-get dist-upgrade command instead.  But to do this I
> need to know
> what to ADD to /etc/apt/sources.list to get 16.04 Lubuntu.   Any idea what
> repository (file name)
> I should add?
>
> gary knott, garykn...@gmail.com
>
> @Gary:

Hopefully my post here will make it past the list janitor . . . hope it's
"tidy" andso forth . . . .  As Aere pointed out, you should be able to use
"sudo do-release-upgrade -d" . . . and it should move you up one LTS
version . . . .  As always, with any command, it will load the proposed
upgrade and then ask you if you want to move forward on it (Y/N)???  As a
safety feature--it is generally "safe" for humans and monkeys to use linux
commands . . . .

If that doesn't work for some reason, then as you also mentioned you can
edit the etc/apt/sources.list  and change the name of the 14.04 version to
whatever the 16.04 version is??  "xenial"???  and then run the
"do-release-upgrade" . . . .  It just takes a little arrowing around in the
terminal to edit out all of the old version to the target version.

I recently used this editing method to try to move an old PPC iMac that had
12.04 installed and it wasn't upgrading due to the fact perhaps that 12.04
was no longer supported, the "do-release-upgrade -d" command wasn't working
. . . can't remember if I jumped from 12.04 to 16.04, or whether I went
through 14.04 . . . that actually "worked" (editing the sources.list file)
. . . but, in the process the old video driver was removed and the new
driver wasn't recognized . . . so the display was lost . . . .  It took a
lot of messing way back to get the nv driver installed and recognized, too
much effort to get an old 800 Mhz/1 GB RAM computer running--BUt, it does
show the "16.04" splash . . . so it is "running" 16.04 via editing the
sources and then running Aere's suggested command.