> Where my Lubuntu 18.04 i386 systems all started to no longer boot
> reliably, it motivated me to switch them to Debian.
>
> The things that cause me problems with Debian, so far, is that there is a
> long delay during the reboot after installing Debian 9, where it seems to
> be doing nothing at all, and you really have to just wait for it to
> complete.  Debian 10 doesn't have that problem, and uses the same installer
> as Lubuntu 18.10 (Calamares).
>
> The other problem, is that wireless support on Debian is much poorer than
> with Ubuntu.  It surprised me that I have only one wireless dongle that
> works with Debian out-of-the-box.  After some effort installing things, I
> was able to get the Broadcom (b43) wireless of my HP Mini working.  The
> wireless of my 32-bit MacBook also worked out-of-the-box.
>
> From what I read, all of the Debian releases are supported for 5 years, so
> Debian 10 should be good until July of 2024.
>
> I now know enough to help my kids migrate their systems to Debian 10.
>
> Where so many of my machines are now on Debian, perhaps I should join that
> band of Debian purists.
> --
>
> Sincerely,
> Aere

AG:

So far the Sid/Buster system I have installed has been pretty clear to get
done on the install, and in this machine I use ethernet . . . so no
problems connecting; but I do get the "you should install the b43 module" .
. . error, but I just ignore it.  When I first installed it Buster/Sid
booted up super fast, flew through the dmesg page and into the GUI log in
in the blink of an eye . . . but, over time we've had some growing pains
and it lashed out at the other systems . . . doing damage . . . and so
other systems had to be re-installed after the Sid/Buster . . . and that
seemed to get Buster to "lose track of swap" and other errors requiring
"thought processing" on the boot up . . . and so now it boots fairly
sedately . . . for a 64 bit system.

You could try to join the purists, but they seem to be "picky" . . . and
not exactly "warm" . . . being more on the "technical" side of the
personality spectrum . . . .

But, it does seem a bit "early" for problems to be showing up in 18.04 ??
which should still be "current" LTS across the platforms??  Anyway, you
would have had to move to keep the 32 bit units going sometime soon . . .
perhaps Debian will have more motivation to support the 32 bit crowd
compared to the low motivation for the bleating PPC crowd . . . where the
"death of PPC" was a slow and lingering thing, followed by dropping it like
a stone ??  : - (((((