Posting below the data posted above it . . . for the OP . . . .

> > Always interesting to see how OPs seem to disappear on ubuntu forums,
> and it winds up RPs discussing the topic . . . .
>
> Oh, I'm still here. My question was already answered and Thunderbird keeps
> stuffing these into the junk mail section.
>
> Also, once it replied to the respondents email address as I forgot to
> change it.
>
> But no, no I'm still here.

OK, glad to hear that, but if you were following the gist of it, you
**might** be able to upgrade to the newest LTS . . . and then simply add
"lxde" . . . and you would have the tried and true, but "olden" "lxde" GUI,
stacked on the freshest LTS??

It might be as simple as "sudo apt install lxde" . . . but it might be
something like "sudo apt install lxde-desktop-environment"  ???  If you
looked in synaptic it might show you how it would like to be commanded.

But possibly the difference between "lxde" and what is offered now, "lxqt
desktop" might be minimal and provide extended support, over the choice for
"lxde"???  The great joy of all flavors linux is almost unlimited choices
and any choice made can be changed, etc.