> From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net>
> To: lubuntu user list <lubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: [lubuntu-users] Apart from this I'm using syslinux
>         instead of      grub2.
>
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 16:03:51 -0700, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 3:51 PM Ralf Mardorf <kde.li...@yahoo.com>
> >wrote:

> >> Using a computer without a sense of dark humour is really dangerous!
> >>

> >Indeed it is . . . and the reference to Hal 9000 is "the stuff of the
> >dark web" . . . i.e., extra dark stuff . . . .  : - ))))
>
> The relativity of real-time.
>
> The shooter sees the target by speed of light.
>
> The target hears the shot by speed of sound, if the shooter (even by a
> ricochet) did miss the target.
>
> Even if the projectile should be slower than the speed of
> sound, the speed of the awareness of the sound, is way slower than the
> projectile.
>
> If the shooter didn't miss the target, then the target did not hear the
> shot.
>
> Many people believe in noticing computers becoming dangerous,
> before computers could harm. This guess is as infantil.
>
> Hiding behind a car door, as shelter against a projectile, gains
> nothing. At best it blocks the view, but not the bullet.
>
> We also could hide behind car doors trying to ensure privacy and
> security of data.
>

> A starting point: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Syslinux
>

>  @Ralf:

Thanks for that link to the wiki . . . .  On the previous allegorical data
. . . well stated, it looks like something I myself could have written . .
. to the usual "?" response.

A couple weeks back I did a short keynote presentation to a group of mental
health acupuncturists on the topic of "Connecting with Our Nature in nature
for higher understanding" . . . I thought it was pretty "clear" what I was
saying . . . .  But after the talk the facilitator said, "Thanks for the
presentation, of course for the most part not many people will understand
what you were saying . . . but, thanks for saying it."

So, Ralf, thanks for saying it . . . I still think "Hal 9000" is an apt
metaphor for today's society . . . but mostly "self-inflicted" or "pilot
error" on the part of the "carbon units" who don't understand their great
blessings . . . and they let the synth units "run the show" . . . .  We
"didn't hear the shot" . . . etc. etc.  : - ))))