> From: Dmitry Serebrennikov [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> I think Scott's point was that retrieving documents is still too much
> work and perhaps only a few fields need be retrieved. For example, if
> one wanted to present a search results page with titles and summaries
> that's all one would need, whereas documents might also
> contain the full
> text of the document or other stored fields for other types
> of processing.

But if that's the case, then retrieving full documents is probably too slow
locally as well, and probably more fields are being stored in Lucene than is
advisable.

> Another point is that some hit collectors choose to retrieve
> documents
> during scoring, however expensive that may be, in order to do some
> custom scoring or sorting or whatever. In this case, it would
> also help
> if such collectors could be "shipped" over to where the index resides
> and do their job there, so that at least they don't have to move the
> documents acorss the wire.

Good point.  My goal was to efficiently distribute Hits-based searching.
Optimizing other sorts of searching might require a different API.

Doug