On Monday 17 February 2003 23:12, Matt Tucker wrote:
> Tatu,
>
> > The only suggestion I have is to encapsulate this workaround
> > in one place, perhaps to a utility class file (util/FileUtil.java?), and
> > only called from the other place(s) (right now that would be just one
>
> place?).
>
> > This way workaround code wouldn't add code clutter to actual
> > functionality, and could
> > be properly commented in utility class itself.
>
> Personally, this seems like overkill to me. There is only a single use of
> File.renameTo in the entire Lucene codebase, so why not keep the workaround

Matter of taste, I guess... and also depends on whether this is ever likely to
be done from any other place, ever. I usually move things like this to a
separate class second time I need them. :-)
But that's easier if I'm only person working on certain piece of
functionality.

Perhaps suggestion would make more sense if I had said that the whole "delete
old file, rename another file to take its place" operation should be
refactored out, as it seems to be 'atomic' operation indexer uses.

> code local to that usage? Additionally, we're only talking about a few
> lines of code. Is it really better to add a whole new class?

At this point it'd be a whole new class, but other self-contained file
operations could easily be moved there as well.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion, so feel free to ignore it if you think it
doesn't make sense.

-+ Tatu +-