Dmitry and others,

One of the relatively frequently asked for features is 'conceptual
search', or 'search by similarity', etc.  Lucene does not store term
vectors in its index, so such searches cannot be supported.

However, almost two years ago, Dmitry provided a large set of patches
that added term vector support to Lucene.  We never applied those
patches for some reason, even though the patches looked really good.
The other day I looked at Dmitry's two year old email again.
I applied a few diffs to my copy of Lucene and added new classes that
Dmitry wrote in order to add term vector support, to the source tree.
Unfortunately, lots of classes changed over the last two years, and not
all patches will apply.

I was wondering, Dmitry, if you have your term vector changes
integrated with the current version of Lucene.  If you do, would it be
possible for you to send the patches again?

Also, I noticed that a large portion of those patches contained a good
amount of documentation (code comments, Javadocs).  Dmitry obviously
studied the code in depth :)  I will try extracting at least the
documentation from that contribution.

Finally, Dmitry, if you have term vector support in your local copy of
the current Lucene sources, how are you going to make patches
containing only the changes that you outlined in the recent email?
Are term vector changes gone or....?

Thanks,
Otis