Sorry, I should have been clearer, I meant using a file, but putting System.currentTimeMillis() in the filename (or any equivelant versioning number, really), rather than in the file data.

Doug Cutting wrote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your proposal, but the problem is that the resolution of file timestamps is not high enough. On MacOS, HFS files only have 1-second resoution, so one can't use a file's timestamp for versioning unless one is willing to wait a second when checking the version, which slows lots of things down. So we're forced to either (a) use the timestamp to represent a version, rather than a time, or (b) implement a version or timestamp of our own, contained in a file. Perhaps there are other options...

Doug

Hani Suleiman wrote:

Adding it inside of a file (segments or otherwise) would mean that the file has to be opened to be read...I might be completely wrong here, but wouldn't it be more efficient to have a separate timestamp file, eg something called segments.[timestamp], with appropriate magic to ensure it's atomically modified etc, and a filter to check for it?

Doug Cutting wrote:

Christoph Goller wrote:

What about living the file timestamps as they are and using
an additional file per index that contains nothing but a counter (type long)
which gets incremented everytime the index is changed (SegmentReader and
IndexWriter). I could implement this.

I think this is a good idea and would love to see an implementation. My guess is that you would do something like add a file called "version" which contains nothing but this long. Alternately, you could add the version at the end of the "segments" file or something. Then all of the IndexReader lastModified methods could be changed to return the value of the version rather than a date. For back-compatibility, the version could in fact be the millisecond time.

Is that the sort of thing you're thinking of?

Doug