I'm no expert in NIO, but I've heard a lot of people claim that NIO improvements over traditional I/O can be significant. I don't know if it would work for your case (does it have to map the entire file into memory?), but you might try the NIODirectory implementation that Francesco Bellomi sent to the list on July 6. Chances are that it would take a little updating at this point, but I doubt it would be much work.

Scott

On Dec 4, 2003, at 10:22 AM, Julien Nioche wrote:

It is (relatively ) slow because I send very large boolean queries. This may
differ from the general use of Lucene where people search for a few terms
and want to access only the n first documents.
Profiling my apps shows that Term access and creation consumes a lot of
time. There was a discussion about this issue when Dmitry proposed a patch
to limit creation of temporary Term objects. In my case this is even more
obvious because of the size of the queries.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Hatcher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Lucene Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: suggestion for a CustomDirectory

On Thursday, December 4, 2003, at 09:45 AM, Julien Nioche wrote:
Here is a use case :
- my Lucene application is running under W2K
- I have (just) a gigabyte RAM
- my index is quite big, let's say 1.7 Gb (with a .tis of 31Mb an a
.tii of
479 Kb)

Using RAMDirectory is impossible, FSDirectory works but is quite slow.

I'm curious.... why is FSDirectory slow? And how are you measuring performance?

Erik